Tuesday, June 23, 2009

iscd industry insider :: Ella and Sofia

Karie Soehardi, head designer of Ella and Sofia shares a little bit about herself with the International School of Colour and Design. Ella and Sofia, a textile and interiors studio in Australia has been a great industry partner of iscd for many years.

What or who inspires you?

Many things inspire me – there’s William Morris, then all the art deco/ nouveau era, Liberty prints, 70’s fashion, London (just because I love it and there is so much going on everywhere you go) and Indonesian batik.

What is your design philosophy?

To not get caught up in what everyone else is doing, and to get out there and be inspired by ‘things’. I love drawing and taking pics of different random things – what my designs turn out to be may be quite simple but different visuals are important to me.

What is your signature style?

Ella and Sofia’s style has a feel of yesteryear with a contemporary twist! I like eclectic things and not afraid to marry a loud wallpaper with a baroque armchair.


How did you get to where you are today?

A lot of cold -calling, door knocking, mistakes, late nights/weekends, happiness, tears, passion and persistence – if you have a dream you must believe in yourself and give it a go. You owe it to yourself to be as happy and creative as you possibly can.


What makes you smile?

My five and half month old son – he is just amazing and, I finally get what all the other parents were talking about. I am just so grateful that I get to watch him learn about the world.

We are a School. What were you like as a student?
I loved school, was a bit of a nerd when I was younger, Art and English were my favourite classes. In college and uni, I was very determined and passionate. I studied Jewellery and Object Design, then Fashion Design. I think education is so important, both in an establishment and through reading, mentors.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment